Sunday, September 13, 2009

August and September 2009

I can't believe I haven't written anything on here for so long. The days have been busy and full. In August, we went up to Seneca for a gospel meeting and brought Daniel and Jessica home with us for a few days. We really enjoyed having them here. We went to Lincoln Log Cabin, had a bonfire with a wienie roast and homemade ice cream, the kids put on a play about Abraham Lincoln, we had a BIG storm - so we set up a tent in the basement and pretended it was a cabin so we could play "olden days" while the electricity was out. We went back up to Seneca on Thursday for the day and left Daniel and Jessica with their mom. I told them I would get pictures put on here, so one of these days I will get that done.

We also enjoyed a day at the Decatur zoo with Laura, Samuel and Adrian.

We enjoyed the workdays at Brownstown getting ready for convention. Likely this will be the last year to use the dining tent there - they are hoping to have the new dining shed and cookhouse ready for convention next year.

We went to Shoals convention for Saturday night and Sunday and then had our convention at Brownstown the following week. Wonderful days! We are looking forward to getting to another out of state convention in a few weeks also.

School started here last Tuesday. Our first week was a good one. I have been tweaking the schedule a little bit and working on lesson plans this afternoon.

We are looking forward to having Todd's mom here in a couple of weeks. We're hoping to get a few field trips in while she is here - to the pumpkin patch, the planetarium, and maybe an apple orchard. She'll get in on a few school days, too.

Yesterday we put up a temporary fence to move the cows on to some fresh grass. It was getting pretty short in the pasture they were in, and we need to build some more fence over on the bigger pasture before we can move them over there. After they harvest the beans, we can use the bigger pasture, but if we move them now, the cows may harvest the beans instead. :) Unfortunately, we lost one of our Herfords this summer - her calf was breech and neither the cow or calf made it through delivery. We were gone when it happened.

Last evening we picked up a batch of 25 laying hens. The kids were excited about getting to gather eggs again - we will see how long that lasts :)

Well, this is just a brief summary of our summer, but I thought I had better get it written down before I forgot completely. I will try to get pictures posted soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment