Friday, May 3, 2013

The difference between handouts and ownership...

Lincoln cracks me up.  If you give him a bag of candy, he will eat. the. whole. thing!  If you tell him he can play on the computer, he would do it for the. whole. day!

After valentines day, I stopped at a store and they had their valentines candy for 90% off.  So I picked up a heart with 3 chocolates for each of the kids, just for fun.  Lincoln's lasted for over a month.  He kept it in the refrigerator and took a nibble off of a piece every day.  I finally had to make him just finish it...

When he was getting close to the end of his math book and really didn't want to concentrate and get it done, I gave him a one day only offer.  Every problem he did he could get 1 minute of computer time.  (He later traded some of those minutes for 7 problems = getting to cook a dessert)  If he got his book done that day, he would also get 1 more hour of computer time and 1 more cooking project.  He ended up with 11 cooking projects and 2 hours and 16 minutes of computer time (Yes he spent several hours doing math that day - the extra time and cooking project were just thrown out there as a joke, I really didn't expect him to finish his book that day!!)  Anyway, he is using his computer time just like he ate his candy.  No longer does he ask me 100 or so times a day if he can play the computer (almost always to the answer of no - find something else to do, your computer time is quiet time on Saturday...)  Now he asks me occasionally if he can use some of his computer time - I usually say yes (since he definitely earned it) and he very carefully sets his timer, plays for 5 minutes and then heads off to find something else to do...  I can see his computer time stretching out for a looooonnnngggg time!


No comments:

Post a Comment