Monday, November 18, 2013

Small town benefits

Growing up near Chicago, a person gets used to the busyness and the people, people, people.  I have lived away from there for several years now, and have gotten used to and love the slower pace and relative quietness of the country and smaller towns. Even so, it still surprises and amuses me when things like this happen...

Several of the kids Have had colds for a few days. Most of them haven't felt too badly and are pretty much over them. Heidi, however, woke up wheezing this morning and had a fever. I really, really don't like taking the kids to the doctor, but constant wheezing, blue tinged lips and unusual lethargy had me calling the doctor's office to see if I could get her in today.  Dr H gave me the choice... take her home and give her treatments every two hours all night or go to the hospital... he glanced over at Heidi as she wheezed away,  and said, never mind, you live a ways away...you'd better take her in.  So we headed over to the hospital... when we got up to pediatrics I mentioned to the nurse that it was really quiet up here.  Yep, she responded, I came over from OB to open up the pediatric floor for you...

When you can't breathe through your nose you have to wear your oxygen in your mouth



3 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better, Heidi! Love Granpa and Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope dear Heidi is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. Somehow, seeing the O2 tubed in through the mouth is unnerving! (For me, anyway- makes it look so desperate!)

    ReplyDelete