Monday, September 29, 2014

Science for today

A few weeks ago our toaster quit.  I told the boys they could take it apart if they wanted to - so they took it outside and tried working on it, but we didn't have a "triangle" bit that would work in the screws.  This weekend, we finally picked up a bit that worked and Garrett got busy with his project.  It is amazing how excited he is to figure things out like this.  Todd was explaining how the handle stayed down by magnetic force produced by the electricity... etc. and Garrett was very enthusiastic in explaining everything he found out.  If only his school book work was as exciting to him. :D  He is definitely a hands on always moving type of learner!  I have a new (maybe that should be a renewed) respect for kindergarten - 2nd grade teachers of little boys. 




2 comments:

  1. Toasters have always seemed somewhat magical to me, actually. I never knew why that little handle stayed down and then magically popped up. In fact, I'm still not exactly sure that I know! Have fun there Mr Hands-on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew it either, Anita. It did make sense when I actually saw the parts, though - coupled with the fact that we just watched a science video about how electricity creates magnets.

      Delete