Friday, April 22, 2011

Mom, when you were a girl...

Did you ever go to the post office and pick up baby chicks?  Did you ever have soaking wet baby chicks on your kitchen table warming up?   These questions this morning have me reflecting on how much I love it out here in the country.  I get questions like this all of the time. The thought of growing up in the "city" is foreign to them.  They can't imagine what it would be like.  It's so fun to have little country kids - running free, playing with the baby animals, gathering the eggs, milking the cows, knowing the difference between a combine and a planter, recognizing the difference between corn and beans growing out in the fields.  I don't know that I would have had the courage to pick up and dispose of chicks that didn't survive, nor would I have not even flinched when a chicken used my back to propel herself out of the chicken house while I was kneeling inside of the door in her way.  I assure them, quite honestly, that growing up in the city was not bad at all.  We could ride our bikes on SIDEWALKS, instead of gravel and grass... We could run up the street to the park to play... We had a cat... and a dog... and a yard...  Somehow they're not convinced.  And somehow, I'm pretty sure that now that I'm a country girl myself I'd have a pretty hard time moving back to the city.  The sounds are different - it's not that it's so quiet, it's just a different kind of noise - instead of traffic and airplanes and people, we hear distant freight trains... cows... chickens... frogs... coyotes...  We look out the window and see pasture and fields and animals instead of buildings and cars.  We look up at the sky at night and are amazed by God's creation.  I love going to town and seeing people we know and watching the farmers sitting around visiting while their wives shop. There is a certain wonder to the city.  The lights and buildings are beautiful and amazing in their own way.  The hustle and bustle is easy to get caught up in.  There are stores and stores and more stores and any restaurant imaginable. I'm glad there are people who enjoy living there - I used to be one of them. And I'm glad I can occasionally visit the city and enjoy the sights and sounds and busyness.  But I am so thankful to live in the country!!!






3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture of your children. My oldest two really liked the picture of your chicks! They keep trying to talk us into getting some,I guess they don't realize with only 3 1/2 acres, we don't have room for more animals! Is any of your daughters close to 12? Mine will be 12 in June, and is looking for "true" friends. Have a nice day! Dora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) Chicks are cute - but they grow into chickens. So are kittens, but I'm not sure what we are going to do with 13 - yes 13 more cats when our newest batches of kittens grow up! Our oldest 3 girls are 13, 11 and 10. Abby (the 11 year old) will be 12 in October. They enjoy having pen pals if your daughter would like that. I saw on your blog that you have a 5 year old and a 2 year old son also - Our older son will be 5 in a couple of weeks and our youngest is 2. Looks like we should get together sometime. :) If your daughter would like to be a pen pal with our girls, you can e-mail your snail mail address to toddandtamara@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was growing up in the country, I thought the "town kids" had a much more wonderful life and thought it wasn't fair I had to live in the country. So after living in town the first few years of marriage, my mother couldn't believe it when I told her we were moving to the country to raise our family! (Unfortunately, I guess I'd made my discontent a little too well known when I was a teenager!) We were in the country a couple years, then back to town a few, and thrilled when it worked to get back to the country. Hard to believe it's been 16 years. And yes, now I do appreciate the wonderful childhood I had growing up a country girl, and hope our children feel the same.

    ReplyDelete