Wednesday, December 25, 2013

A new game

We bought Laura a game for her birthday - Axis and Allies. It is a strategic game of World War 2 and since Laura is a World War 2 history buff, so we thought she would enjoy the game. We hadn't had a chance to play it since her birthday, so we thought we would take a little time today to give it a try.  Todd opened it up last night to read the instructions and we realized that it would take more than just a little time when he looked at the last page of the instruction booklet and it was page 31...  He read the instructions and then we found a 1 hour video online (broken up into 4 segments) about how to play the game.  We got started and 2 1/2 hours later we had gotten around the 5 players... 1 time...  Laura, Abigail, and Charlotte all think they will enjoy the game - Todd thought it was fun... I had glazed over eyes by the time my turn came (I was player #5) but I think it will be a good game and will go a lot faster after we get all of the steps and exceptions to the rules figured out.  (Kris R. - if J & H are interested in playing some day let us know (it is a lot more involved than Catan but if they like strategy games they will probably enjoy this - they  might want to watch the YouTube videos of the 1941 edition first - we'll try to get it figured out better too - it is a relatively realistic set up of the war)

Trying to figure out how to set up the board




Moving her troops

Fighting a battle

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like Risk. And your reaction sounds like mine. Scrabble and Monopoly are tooooooooo long and boring for me, too. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the invitation, but shoot. me. now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anita - kind of like Risk, but more complicated, I think... I've never actually played Risk, but Todd and some of the kids have... for hours!

    Kris - I won't make you play, lol

    ReplyDelete