Friday, January 3, 2014

The case of the missing pocket knife

Garrett has had his pocket knife for about a week - and it has been "missing" already for a few days.  Tonight Laura was fixing the vacuum.   The following conversation went something like this. Laura - "Garrett, can I use your knife?"  Garrett - "Or Lincoln's?" Laura "No, I need yours because I need the pliers" Garrett got a sheepish look on his face and Laura realized - "What? You lost your knife? It lasted a long time, didn't it?"  I chimed in, "Garrett, did you really already lose your knife?" He came over to me with a hint of a tear in his eye and look on his face that told me that he didn't really want to have to say this.  Garrett "Mommy, where did you put it?" Me "What do you mean?" Garrett "You used it last - I gave it to you and you didn't give it back."  Me "When did I use your knife?" (BAD mommy moment here!) Garrett - " 'Member when you used it to open the mineral blocks for the cows?"  Ooops - I hope I can find it in the back of the van, or I'm going to be buying a little boy a new knife...

Edited to add - I just went outside to the van and whew, there was the missing pocket knife - right where I left it Tuesday afternoon...

1 comment: