I really wasn't planning to spend all day in the kitchen, and I really wasn't planning to fill up the freezers two days before we butcher the steer. All I can say is that it is a good thing he is a small steer!
Last night I put steel cut oats in the crock pot for breakfast this morning. There was only a "little" left in the jar, so I just dumped it all in. So we had A LOT of leftover oatmeal this morning. I thought I'd make some cinnamon rolls out of the leftovers. I made a batch of dough, then another batch, and another, and another... So we ended up with 5 pans of cinnamon rolls, 2 pizza crusts, several rolls and a loaf of bread in the freezer. Glad I had some extra hands to help me out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Have you lost the directions to my house?
ReplyDeleteHa-ha. Nope, I still remember how to get there. Looking forward to being there a week from tonight. How is your bread baking going? Come over some morning and we'll pull out some cinnamon rolls for you.
ReplyDeleteI'd love your recipe for using the oatmeal to make dough. Sounds delicious!
ReplyDeleteHi Jen, MY recipe is dump in a little of this and a little of that and hope it comes out right. :) It was something like this: 1/2 cup warm water mixed with 2 Tbsp yeast & dump part of a scoop of sugar - I mean 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (brown sugar, honey or whatever sweetener you want)let it sit until its creamy, Then I dumped in about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of oatmeal, an egg, a glug of oil (probably around 1/4 cup - butter works too), about a Tbsp of salt and then turned on the mixer. While it was mixing I poured in flour until it was the right consistancy. If you want an actual recipe, Abigail used http://thesistersdish.blogspot.com/2008/09/leftover-oatmeal-bread.html and it was very good.
ReplyDeleteThank you :)
ReplyDelete