I've been trying to use up some of the things in the freezer that sometimes get left behind when I make menus. So for supper tonight I was planning beef and noodles. What I didn't put on the menu that the beef was from the beef tongue. With the prices of groceries going up and up and up, I hated to just send the tongue that the butcher put in with the rest of our meat when we had a steer butchered last summer to the dogs, and I've heard all my life that it is a delicious cut of meat... so this morning I quietly brought the tongue up from the freezer and stuck it in some water to simmer with a couple of beef soup bones. The kids are generally good about eating anything that is set in front of them. Most of them are way more adventurous than I am. But I wasn't sure what seeing the tongue would do to their appetites. After lunch, when they were all supposed to be heading to various corners of the house for their hour of quiet time, I grabbed a cutting board, some tongs and a knife to get busy on it before the kids could see it. One by one they wandered back through the kitchen... "What's that????" they all asked? I shouldn't have worried. They all wanted to touch it and taste it. They thought it was sooooo neat! They brought out the camera and took some close ups of it. All the while I was wondering how I was going to be able to eat it for supper. All but one of them are ready to try it out... that one and I might just try to see if we can sneak out of the house and head to town for supper - ha. If you are squeamish, you might not want to scroll down to see the pictures.
Monday, March 18, 2013
WHAT is for supper?
The menu looks innocent enough - Beef & Noodles.
I've been trying to use up some of the things in the freezer that sometimes get left behind when I make menus. So for supper tonight I was planning beef and noodles. What I didn't put on the menu that the beef was from the beef tongue. With the prices of groceries going up and up and up, I hated to just send the tongue that the butcher put in with the rest of our meat when we had a steer butchered last summer to the dogs, and I've heard all my life that it is a delicious cut of meat... so this morning I quietly brought the tongue up from the freezer and stuck it in some water to simmer with a couple of beef soup bones. The kids are generally good about eating anything that is set in front of them. Most of them are way more adventurous than I am. But I wasn't sure what seeing the tongue would do to their appetites. After lunch, when they were all supposed to be heading to various corners of the house for their hour of quiet time, I grabbed a cutting board, some tongs and a knife to get busy on it before the kids could see it. One by one they wandered back through the kitchen... "What's that????" they all asked? I shouldn't have worried. They all wanted to touch it and taste it. They thought it was sooooo neat! They brought out the camera and took some close ups of it. All the while I was wondering how I was going to be able to eat it for supper. All but one of them are ready to try it out... that one and I might just try to see if we can sneak out of the house and head to town for supper - ha. If you are squeamish, you might not want to scroll down to see the pictures.
I've been trying to use up some of the things in the freezer that sometimes get left behind when I make menus. So for supper tonight I was planning beef and noodles. What I didn't put on the menu that the beef was from the beef tongue. With the prices of groceries going up and up and up, I hated to just send the tongue that the butcher put in with the rest of our meat when we had a steer butchered last summer to the dogs, and I've heard all my life that it is a delicious cut of meat... so this morning I quietly brought the tongue up from the freezer and stuck it in some water to simmer with a couple of beef soup bones. The kids are generally good about eating anything that is set in front of them. Most of them are way more adventurous than I am. But I wasn't sure what seeing the tongue would do to their appetites. After lunch, when they were all supposed to be heading to various corners of the house for their hour of quiet time, I grabbed a cutting board, some tongs and a knife to get busy on it before the kids could see it. One by one they wandered back through the kitchen... "What's that????" they all asked? I shouldn't have worried. They all wanted to touch it and taste it. They thought it was sooooo neat! They brought out the camera and took some close ups of it. All the while I was wondering how I was going to be able to eat it for supper. All but one of them are ready to try it out... that one and I might just try to see if we can sneak out of the house and head to town for supper - ha. If you are squeamish, you might not want to scroll down to see the pictures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

My parents thought (or were they just acting?) the tongue was a delicacy and Dad loved leftover tongue sandwiches. Thankfully it wasn't something we were forced to "enjoy", too! I suppose maybe before I was old enough to know what they put in my mouth I may have eaten some, but I know I never did once I was old enough to be aware! (Hence the leftovers for Dad's sandwiches?) Hope your brave ones enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteMost of the family ate it an enjoyed it. The two of us more squeamish ones had a harder time getting it down... unfortunately there were even leftovers, so we got to enjoy it again. We were glad for fresh bread coming out of the oven right at supper time. :)
DeleteI have always wanted to try tongue. Thanks for helping me change my mind.
ReplyDeleteYou may be able to handle it if you don't have to prepare it. :D It didn't taste bad at all... just the thought of what it had looked like... ugh!
Delete