Thursday, October 3, 2013

Random thought


We sold a calf yesterday and her mom has been wandering around the pasture ever since calling and calling and calling for her baby... 

Of all the things that farm life has introduced me to, I think that is about the hardest thing for me to handle.  I've been splattered with all sorts of animal stuff, kicked, chased by a rooster, run at by a bull, had my feet stepped on, been out in the middle of the night getting escapees back in the pasture, been out in the middle of the night in the rain during calving, and all kinds of other things - all of those things, to me, just go with the wonderful privilege of living in the country.  But hearing the desperation in the calling of the mamas when their babies are missing is almost more than I can take.

6 comments:

  1. That would send me over the edge, too. Jason laughs at how upset I get when our PUPPY cries:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you had 120 cows and calves bawlin' for each other, you'd soon wish they would just shut UP!! :) We "fence-line" wean them. They don't bawl as long if they can touch noses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our neighbor has a dairy and separates cows and calves regularly. They do go ON and ON all day, and all night, don't they. But I still feel sorry for them ;)

      Delete