Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lemonade and porch swings (or Coke and folding chairs)

Yesterday Todd went to help out some friends and the kids and I tagged along.  I was planning to help out a little too, but there really wasn't much for me to do.  So my friend and I ended up sitting down and chatting most of the day.  We didn't get the world's problems figured out, or even any of our own, but it was so nice just to sit and visit and enjoy each others company while the guys worked and the kids helped them out or spent time playing.  Both of us had plenty of other things we could have been doing.  A household with kids never runs out of laundry or dishes or the many other things that need to be done, but we just relaxed out in our chairs in the sunshine and enjoyed the day.

Some of the people that we meet with on Sunday mornings tell stories of just driving over to "so & so's house" on Sunday afternoon and spending the afternoon visiting.  They have so many wonderful memories of those days.  I remember spending many Sunday afternoons at my grandparent's homes sitting around while the grownups visited. 

Sometimes it seems like in the hustle and bustle of our generation some of that time of fellowship has been lost.  We have technology that can keep us in instant contact with each other.  With facebook and texting and blogs and e-mail, etc. we can read about a good portion of each others daily lives.  But sometimes I wonder if we're missing out on really getting to know each other they way generations in the past did as they sipped lemonade out on the porch while they swapped stories and laughed and joked with each other.  Or as they sat around and discussed what was going on in the world around them or visited about the scriptures.

Thanks for such a pleasant day, my friend... :)

3 comments:

  1. I remember the excitement when my dad would say on a Sunday afternoon, "Get in the car, we're going for a drive", not knowing where we'd end up, but knowing we'd be welcome whereever the car took us. Of course we always hoped it'd be where there were other children to play with, which wasn't always the case, but we could always be guaranteed a treat of some sort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree 100% with your sentiments..come on by anytime! seriously! take me up on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed!! Someone recently mentioned that instead of thinking about arranging playdates, that some of the best childhood memories and lessons come from being around older folks. I believe that is very true.

    ReplyDelete