Thursday, February 16, 2012
A patriotic ear
A couple of months ago, when she first found out she would need a hearing aid, Heidi said, "But the kids might all laugh at me." After I explained that it was no different than wearing glasses to make it easier to see and asked her if she had ever noticed that a friend of ours wears a hearing aid (she hadn't ever noticed), she became excited that she would be able to hear better. Her appointment for picking it out and making the mold was yesterday. Before we went, I told her that she would be picking out the color of it. I explained that she could either choose one that would blend in with her skin and hair so it wasn't obvious or she could pick one that was a fun color that everyone could see. She decided then that she would get a hot pink one! Once we got there and she saw all the fun colors, she decided on a metallic blue with a swirled red white and blue ear mold. For kids, they recommend getting a behind the ear aid which attaches to a mold that fits inside the ear. The behind the ear part lasts for about 5 - 7 years and the mold gets replaced about once a year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It'll be interesting to hear (no pun intended) what she has to say about what she hears differently with the hearing aid. can't wait to see it, sounds pretty neat! hmm...maybe I should trade mine in and add some pizzazz to my old age!
ReplyDeleteGood for her! When does she get it?
ReplyDeleteRuth, you should check out all the fun colors - I don't know if they have them for adults or not, but kids have a huge assortment of ear mold colors - some with sparkles, up to 3 swirl colors, just about any color they want!
ReplyDeleteKris, I think she'll get it in about 3 weeks.
I loved picking out braces band colors, usually to match the season or holiday. I also had a bionater, which is like a retainer, except that you bite down on it and it's a bit larger. I chose tie dye with blue, green and teal and a musical note decal in it. =) It's so fun to go crazy! I still have the old thing in a keepsake box. Lol! I hope Heidi has a lot of fun enjoying her custom hearing aid, both with the ease of hearing and with the color!
ReplyDeleteAnd I'll bet that kids aren't the only ones who'd enjoy a little personal expression, either. ;)