Some of the kids have recently read "George Washington’s Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation" A book of 110 rules of civility that he copied when he was a young boy. One of the rules is, " Put not off your Cloths in the presence of Others, nor go out your Chamber half Dressed." The girls have been trying to teach the boys that it is not polite to look at girls when they don't have enough clothes on. They have the boys practice closing their eyes when a pretend scantily clad girl is around. (Before I was expecting Lincoln, the girls kept telling me they really wanted a brother. After playing with a group of rambunctious boys one day, they were commenting on how rough they were. I told them that that is what boys are like and if they had a brother that his what he would be like..., to which they replied - "Ours wouldn't be, we'd train him!" So that is what the boys in this family have to live with.)
Anyway, we stopped at Casey's tonight on our way home from Bible Study to pick up a bag of ice. While we were waiting in the van for Abby to buy the ice, a girl with skimpy clothing walked by. Garrett exclaimed, "YIKES, she doesn't have a kirt on!!" I asked him if he had closed his eyes. "Not very well." He replied.
Canning Applesauce from Tart Apples
5 weeks ago

Oh how funny!!! It has just begun!!
ReplyDeleteAnd at the sound of those "all-boy" boys of yours, I'm sure they'll be very glad they have each other and will work on "training" the sisters at just how boys WILL be!
ReplyDeleteI have that same book! Got it as a teenager.. must be a homeschooler thing? We loved the ones about not wiping your face with the table cloth and not scratching any part of the body that is covered with clothes, and not picking your teeth with some utensil but to only use a "pick tooth"... =)
ReplyDeleteWe have these "Route 66" billboards that have a blonde in hot pants and a teeny blouse and the kids routinely look away from the "immodest lady". But first, of course, they have to spot her. =) Once I kept an eye on Lucas to see if he saw the sign approaching and I never saw him look. After we passed it, I asked "Did you see that sign?" And he got all embarrassed and defended himself that he couldn't help it. Truly, he had the "corner of the eye" move down pat! I don't want my boys to feel guilty about what they notice, just to be aware of what is appropriate and to value modesty.