Thursday, December 13, 2012

Does anyone want to play along in the comments?

I think I'm back to normal today... and Todd said it was probably ok to leave last night's post on... so I'll trust his judgement since I didn't seem to have much; although he was rushing around getting ready to go to work when he read it... so :)

Anyway,  here is my thought for today.  We spend a lot of time on our children's natural life - keeping them fed, clothed, happy, cheerful, schooled, etc.  Maybe it is because I have known of so many new little ones being born or being expected lately, but I have been thinking a lot, about how to raise wholesome, pure, Godly children.  After all, our children are more than just a physical beings.  They take a lot of molding, naturally, just to make them productive citizens of this life... But much more than that they are spiritual, eternal beings.  And helping them with that aspect of their lives is so huge in my mind.  It is so, so much more important than keeping their bodies taken care of.

So, I just thought it would be interesting and helpful to ask how you look at and work at this part of your children's lives.  If you'd rather not comment, you're certainly not under any obligation.  :)  But if you feel like it, I'd love to hear from you.

4 comments:

  1. I think most likely that our daily example to them speaks the very loudest of all. I think we underestimate that. Our walk, our words, our actions.
    I find it difficult to bring up serious conversations with them, but I do try to take advantage of opportunities when they bring something up. I remember as a young person feeling like I was getting preached to when my mom brought something up, so I've tried to find other ways than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with the above - example. When they were little we would read to them and encourage them to have quiet time. There does come a point though where you want them to do it for themselves. We do give a 'nudge' once in awhile to keep on track. But it is the day to day opportunities to share when a question comes up. Then you jump at the chance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think for us, the most important thing is to encourage them to have their own relationship with Christ. We can read, talk and pray together, but ultimately I want them to make their choices based on the convictions God has put their hearts. I want them to know God as their healer, forgiver, guide and Abba father. We try to remind them to consider Christ in all things: school, friendships, those in need, our family, etc. How are they representing Christ? Are the Fruits of the Spirit evident? And if not, do they know the steps to make things right with God so that those fruits show forth? Anywho, thanks for reading...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your posts, Tamara, and feel I never take the time to tell you that. I, too, feel very strongly about teaching the boys to love Truth, love God, and love things Heavenly.
    I agree completely with the above posts about LIVING the example. I turn time and again to what a very wise friend told us when our first was born..."Teach them the LOVE of the kingdom. A child will naturally rebel from rules, but will hold to what he loves for his entire life."

    ReplyDelete