Friday, December 21, 2012

How do I get this van to go?

After Heidi read my blog post about her stirring the pot with my toothbrush, she thought I should really post a little story about a recent driving experience Laura had the other day so that she wouldn't have to be the only one embarrassed by my stories... Of course Laura doesn't think I should... hmmmm...  I guess I will, since this blog is for memories' sake.

The other day Laura got in the driver's seat and I was riding shotgun - the rest of the family was in the van too.  She was getting everything situated - the mirror, seat, steering wheel and getting ready to back out of the driveway of the home we were visiting. I casually mentioned that she would need to turn the van on before she could drive... "I know, Mom." Not really exasperation, but more of a, come on, Mom, I really do know that much about driving, tone of voice."  "OK... I'll just let her drive and try to keep quiet," I thought.  She put the van in reverse (the key must have been slightly turned because the van went into gear - but the van wasn't running) and looked back over her shoulder to start backing out - and I looked over at her with my eyebrows raised... "Um, Laura, you really do need to turn on the van before you can drive" - we all got a good laugh out of that one.

By the way, Laura is doing very well learning to drive our big ol' 15 passenger bus.  Todd is a whole lot better at teaching her to drive than I am ("oh, yeah, he just gets in, tells me how to go and doesn't say anything about my driving"...)  She is done with her little stint of "school" except for the driving portion so it will be nice not to have her gone in the mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment