Wednesday, December 12, 2012

THIS is what is wrong...

I just can't get this freecycle email off my mind. I read it, deleted it and then went digging back through the trash folder.

I would like to think that not all that many people think like this... but there are enough similar freecycle ads, to prove that several do... And we're just a tiny community here... Also, this is not my typical "for memories sake" post. But it just made me sad... And frustrated...

Maybe it caught my attention more than it would have if I hadn't just seen pictures from South America of a home with wooden posts with gaps (there really is no way to describe it without seeing the picture, but likely most of you have seen similar pictures or even seen real poverty in real life) ... with no obvious comforts where a couple actually lives and a friend was visiting... and a picture a friend took in Poland of a train restroom with blowing snow and ice covering the facilities... And I admit I love the comforts and cleanliness of our great country. And I see nothing wrong with enjoying the benefits of the hard work and ingenuity of the people before, current and the hard work of my hubby. But seriously?!? THIS was on a local freescycle site...

i am in dire need of a tv of at least 27'' my 50 '' just got a remote thrown through it. and just foiund out my extended warranty that i purchased for $120 doesnt cover physical damage. the tv is what my kids watch all their movies on so if anyone can help me out please i would appreciate it

I just can't get it!?! Dire Need?!? Really?!? I hope we can teach our kids what really is important... That our only real dire need is getting to know and love God... And that is the spiritual and most important part of our lives.

But even for the natural part of our lives it is so much better not to get caught up in more, and more; bigger and bigger stuff. That all we really need for this life is to have enough to eat, a safe place to live and a way to provide for the ones we are responsible for. And I suppose one could argue that that isn't really an absolute necessity - there are people existing on much less than that... but I think if we can provide we should... (Again, not that we can't enjoy the fruits of our labor - I guess it is just the tone and selfishness of that post that saddened me and the thought that those kids are growing up with that type of thinking)

Anyway, I am doing some searching and wondering about what we can be doing to make our real, dire needs the ones we are really focusing on...



That's all... Good Night :)

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree, too many wants and must haves out there. I actually got thrown out of a freecycle group a few years ago because I asked for a luxury item. Pretty sad for the group, because I posted tons of things to give away, there loss. What I had asked if anyone had an old laptop computer, it did NOT need to be internet capable, it just needed to be able to play some educational games that I had gotten that would not work on our current computer. I needed something that was pre Windows 95. A guy posted from a local town that he had one sitting in his den that had not been used in a few years, the screen was broke and it would not stay open (you have to lean it against a wall or it will fall shut) and it had not been on the internet since the early 1990's. And yes I got in trouble for asking for a luxury item! lol. I do agree that the TV was over the top and to think that they wanted to turn in the warranty for something that they had done (remote being thrown threw the TV). GGRR!!!
    Hope you get healed up from your procedure.
    Hugs,
    Moe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't so much what they were asking for - nothing wrong with seeing if someone has something laying around That we could use. It was the attitude of it being of dire need... Asking about something in a polite way is much different in my opinion than this... Although I guess he did use polite words at the end, lol . Maybe if I hadn't been under the influence of medicine it wouldn't have set me off, ha ha

      Delete
  2. Yes, I agree--it wasn't that it was a bad thing--just the "dire need"....Mostly I've seen good posts on the freecycle in our area, but just once or twice I've seen something kind of like this that made me do a double take--"what???" I have enough issues with kids being on computer too much!

    ReplyDelete