Here are a few pictures from our day.
| Some of us with Rick Santorum |
| Some of the Duggar family was there campaigning with Rick Santorum |
| The Motorcade |
One of the most interesting things to us (besides meeting Rick and the experience of the whole thing) was watching the secret service. They were absolutely engaged in their job. They weren't standing around cracking jokes or looking bored. They were watching everything that was going on. Ready to take on anything that would threaten the security of Santorum or the crowd. Very impressive!
Politics aren't something I used to be very interested in, nor did I follow them very closely. Before and since the last presidential election, though, I began researching and learning more about the candidates. Having children makes a person think about the kind of world those children are growing up in and what they will be facing as adults - perhaps with their own children to bring up. My litmus test, I have realized, is really very simple. I don't trust the judgement of those who don't value the sanctity of life. Period.
I don't really like to engage in political conversations - especially with people whose political view I don't know or with those who don't agree with my views because that is not a great way to make or keep friends. Nor do I generally post political things on our blog. I have, however realized that it is important for us to take our civic responsibility seriously. 1 Timothy 2 says that we should pray for those who are in authority so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty...
Because we live in the United States we also have the privilege and responsibility of voting for those who lead us. Because the Illinois primaries are later than several other states, there is often a clear front runner before Illinoisans get to vote. This year the race is so close, every vote will make a difference.
As James Madison said in Federalist 51:
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary."

Beautifully said! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed the pictures!!!!
Wonderful experience for all of you!
ReplyDeleteAwesome that you got to do that!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you on questioning "the judgement of those who don't value the sanctity of life." There are no perfect people, and certainly no perfect candidates. But, if you don't get the basics right (like life!), how can you get the other things right and make choices from office that I'll support as well?
I agree that for me, children have caused me to be far more political than I used to be... and I used to be a strong "Dittohead" in the early days. So pretty political! Sometimes it feels like so much is a stake. So I try hard to do the best I can, then try not to get a tummy ache about the rest!
ReplyDeleteI agree about valuing the sanctity of life, and I've also learned (past presidents, congress people) that some may shout loudly on the subject and then do nothing about it whatsoever, sigh. It's hard to get accurate information. But, there's nothing like getting involved in the political process with our kids to start learning! And teaching them how to weigh things out, pros and cons and the like. What fun!
How interesting!
ReplyDeleteTamara, Santorum was in Effingham and no one told us??? YIKES SPIKES!!! :) Thanks for sharing...love seeing your family on this blog.
ReplyDeleteCarrie